The Best MCT Oil Brands – 2020 Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
Best MCT Oil Brands
|01||BulletProof Brain Octane|
|02||NOW Foods MCT Oil|
|03||Onnit MCT Oil|
|04||NuMedica MCT Oil USP|
|05||Bulletproof XCT Oil|
|06||Viva Labs MCT Oil|
|07||Sports Research MCT Oil|
|08||Swanson Premium 100% Pure Mct Oil|
|09||Caveman Coffee Co MCT Oil|
|10||Twinlab MCT Fuel|
All Benefits/Effects/Facts & Information
Medium-chain triglycerides, or MCTs, are a type of saturated fatty acids that are more readily digested and used as energy by the body than other fats. These fatty acids are found in coconut oil, palm kernel oil, and other sources, but MCTs can also be taken in a purified form as an MCT oil supplement.
While there is a lot of debate about the health benefits of adding/increasing saturated fats in the diet, research shows that consumption of MCTs in moderation may benefit cognition and weight loss. MCT oil can be beneficial for both healthy individuals and for improving symptoms.
MCT oil may be used to replace other fats in the diet. When glucose stores are low, the body will burn fat for energy. Since MCT oil is more quickly digested than other fats, it is used as this energy source during athletic training or weight loss regimens in order to maintain lean muscle mass while losing fat.
Your body uses MCT oil as ketones (fat) for energy instead of glucose. MCTs are used by your liver for fuel and energy.
Preliminary research also suggests that taking an MCT oil supplement may improve symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease by providing another source of energy besides glucose for the brain. This benefit may also appear in healthy individuals for general cognitive improvement. Further research must be conducted to validate this claim.
MCT Oil Benefits:
- Can improve cognition
- Helps with fat loss in a fasted state
- Improve body composition by reducing stored body fat
- Fight stomach fungal infections
- Improve the digestion of food and absorption of nutrients
Things to Know
Also Known As
Medium-chain fatty acids, MCTs
Things to note
A physician should be consulted before taking an MCT oil supplement. MCT oil is not a replacement for insulin or other glucose-regulating medications. This supplement should not be used by those with liver cirrhosis or fatty liver disease unless approved by a physician.
MCT oil in the purified form should not be confused with coconut oil or other products that contain MCTs. If taking various forms of MCTs, the concentration in each product should be noted in order to obtain the desired dose.
It is important to note that MCT oil is supplemented in place of other fats. Dietary recommendations should be followed regarding daily fat intake, and current diets should be modified when beginning an MCT oil supplement.
- The purity of your MCT product matters. Do not purchase low quality products as they often contain harmful solvents or additional unnecessary ingredients.
- The four different kinds of MCTs: caprioc (C6:0), caprylic (C8:0), capric (C10:0) and lauric (C12:0) acids. Caprylic Acid and Capric Acid are to two types of MCTs that are considered to be the most beneficial.
- A MCT oil product that is an 8-Carbon MCT Oil made from organic ingredients is something you want to look for while shopping for MCT oils. Regardless of the exact number of MCT oil your product has, all are still extremely beneficial for your health.
How to Take
Recommended dosage, active amounts, other details
There is no standard dose for taking purified MCT oil. For enhanced athletic performance, a typical dose is more than 50g per day. MCT oil should not be taken on an empty stomach, for it may cause abdominal irritation.
MCT oil can be added to salads, shakes, or beverages for convenience. Many sources of MCT oil contain around 15g of MCTs per tablespoon.
A maximum safe dose has not been established for pregnant women or for children.
MCTs can be added into salads as a dressing, blended into smoothies, mixed into coffee, or used in cooking. Supplementation of MCTs for athletic performance is around 50 g daily.
These healthy fats can be used in many different ways to cooperate them into your diet.
- Add them into post-workout or pre-workout protein shakes.
- Add MCT oil into a salad dressing to increase the healthy fat content.
- Of course adding MCT oil into your coffee works really well too.
10 best MCT oils
- BulletProof Brain Octane
- NOW Foods MCT Oil
- Onnit MCT Oil
- NuMedica MCT Oil USP
- Bulletproof XCT Oil
- Viva Labs MCT Oil
- Sports Research MCT Oil
- Swanson Premium 100% Pure Mct Oil
- Caveman Coffee Co MCT Oil
- Twinlab MCT Fuel