Advertiser Disclosure: Onlinestrength.com has an affiliate relationship with some offers on this page & is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, if you buy something, we may get a cut of the sales.
Best Ashwagandha Supplements
- Best Ashwagandha Root Extract Product – Pure Encapsulations Ashwagandha
- Best Ashwagandha Capsules – Ancient Apothecary Fermented Ashwagandha
- Best Ashwagandha Liquid Tincture Extracts – Herb Pharm Ashwagandha Liquid Extract Tincture
- Best Ashwagandha KSM-66 – NutraBio Ashwagandha KSM-66
- Best Ashwagandha Tea – Buddha Teas Organic Ashwagandha Root Tea
After more than 237 hours of research—spanning four years, with over 81 ashwagandha supplements reviewed—we think the Pure Encapsulations Ashwagandha is still the best brand for almost any need. But because there are so many good options, we’ve chosen nine other favorites from almost half a decade of testing, in a number of forms, and strengths, so you’re sure to find something that works for you.
1. Pure Encapsulations Ashwagandha
- Pure Encapsulations ashwagandha is formulated by nutritionists, Ph.D.’s and medical experts to provide strengths and dosing consistent with clinical experience
- 120 or 60 capsules of ashwagandha extract standardized to contain 2.5% withanolides in each 500 mg capsule.
- other ingredients include: hypo-allergenic plant fiber (cellulose), vegetarian capsule (cellulose, water). The plant fiber this brand used on their capsules comes from pine cellulose.
- 500 mg ashwagandha one capsule per day dosing
- Hypoallergenic plant fiber capsules with Comprehensive Allergen SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) prevents ingredient cross-contamination
- vegetarian capsule – no gelatin, vegan and vegetarian friendly. product is also gluten-free.
- two-piece capsules are hypoallergenic and vegetarian
- 2.5% withanolides
- extract derived from Withania somnifera root and standardized to contain 2.5% withanolides.
- 1 capsule serving size daily, with or between meals, or as directed by a health professional.
- research based ashwagandha dosage in every capsule. 500 mg x 2.5% = 12.5 mg of withanolides in every serving.
- Free of magnesium stearate, hydrogenated fat, artificial sweeteners and colors, and other unnecessary excipients
- Regularly inspected by the FDA, as well as by independent third-party certification bodies for compliance with cGMPs and other international standards of quality
- Free of Gluten and GMOs offering a formula that will be more tolerated by many users with sensitive stomachs.
- Free of preservatives, artificial colors, flavors and sugars
Why we like it: Doesn’t use gelatin capsules. Effective dosage in each capsule. 2.5% withanolides per serving. 500 mg ashwagandha root extract. Vegetarian and vegan friendly. No gluten.
How to make the most of it: Don’t forget their 120 capsule formula will last you several months and can last a long time in the supplement pantry. Their hypo-allergenic plant fiber is derived from pine cellulose which may help if you have a sensitive stomach.
Also consider: For another ashwagandha supplement with similar high extract dosage and vegetable based capsules, check out the 60 Caplets of Ashwagandha by Himalaya Herbal Healthcare.
2. Ancient Apothecary Fermented Ashwagandha
Best for: Someone who wants one simple supplement to do everything
Why Buy?: Ancient Apothecary Fermented Ashwagandha is made by Dr.Axe and his brand – need say more? And because it’s infused with essential oils like peppermint leaf oil and Black Pepper Extract (fruit, essential oil).
- Made with a Organic Full Spectrum Ashwagandha Blend. Providing the highest possible quality herb to the formula.
- Pullulan, organic apple cider vinegar, organic fermented reishi (mycelium). Reishi is a mushroom which some users do not like.
- Fermentation can increase the presence of probiotics in the food
- Organic Essential Oils and CO2 extracts.
- ashwagandha root extract (5% withanolides) AND ashwagandha (root and leaf, 10% withanolides).
- 3 capsules daily with 8 ounces of water or your favorite beverage. May be taken with or without food.
- 90 Capsules total per container
- Non-GMO, Vegan, Gluten Free
- Withania somnifera is a strong adaptogen
Most notable features: Ancient Apothecary Fermented Ashwagandha is a reliable multi-herb ashwagandha product. Made with an ashwagandha root extract (5% withanolides) AND ashwagandha (root and leaf, 10% withanolides).herbs.
Why we like it: Dr. Josh Axe, DC, DNM, CNS, is a doctor of chiropractic, certified doctor of natural medicine and clinical nutritionist. Product offers a fun way to supplement ashwagandha and a few other good for you herbs. Capsules are made from Pullulan and contain organic apple cider vinegar, organic fermented reishi (mycelium).
How to make the most of it: Dr. Axe labels it to be 30 servings per container, making it 90 capsules. If you wanted to prolong the period in which you bring in unique herbs into your diet, 1 capsule a day will work for you. If you want maximum potential benefits than 3 capsules is what Dr.Axe suggests.
Also consider: Check out the Garden of Life mykind Organics Ashwagandha if you are looking for a comparable quality supplement with a USDA organic certificate .
3. Herb Pharm Ashwagandha Liquid Extract Tincture
Best for: Ashwagandha Liquid Extracts are an easy and quick way to get a powerful dose of ashwagandha. Many users prefer tinctures because they work fast and you don’t have to tax your digestive system to digest capsules or powers at later hours in the day, like before bed.
Why Buy?: Herb Pharm Ashwagandha Liquid Extract is made by a trusted brand, the product can be found in many supplement isles, including Wholefoods. They’re one of the few widely used tincture brands on the market currently. If you want a good liquid extract, give this product a try while you’re testing out other brands.
At A Glance:
- Certified organic cane alcohol
- USDA Organic boosting their quality and they are Certified Organic by Organic Certifiers.
- Ashwagandha root (Withania somnifera) extract 626 mg per serving
- Country of origin: India, USA. The herbs used in this product are from the USA and India.
- The brand also uses 100% non-palm glycerin to avoid contributing to global rainforest deforestation
- Brand assures herb identity by analyzing with macroscopic and organoleptic methods.
- Brand is trusted and began in 1979
- The brand works with over 250 plants and each one gets its own custom extraction process.
- Comes in 1 fl. oz (30 ml) or 4 fl. oz (120 ml) sizes both are USDA organic.
Most notable features: Herb Pharm Ashwagandha Tincture recorded 626 mg of ashwagandha root extract per serving. Product uses USDA organic quality roots and plant in this tincture. Being in Organic Cane Alcohol is also a nice touch.
Why we like it: Its a clean and affordable tincture. USDA organic quality herbs used to make this extract. They do not use palm glycerin and its held in certified organic cane alcohol.
How to make the most of it: Liquid tinctures tend to be the cheapest and most affordable form of ashwagandha, as most users prefer to take capsules and avoid to avoid any taste. Herb Pharm recommends you take this product between meals.
Also consider: The Nature’s Answer Alcohol-Free Ashwagandha Root Tincture has no alcohol in its tincture and was 3rd party tested for its withanolides content.
4. NutraBio Ashwagandha KSM-66
Most notable features: NutraBio Ashwagandha KSM-66 uses a high effective dose of the branded ksm-66 ashwagandha extract (600 mg) and contains 5% withanolides. Its 3rd party tested to ensure the ingredients on the label match up with what is being sold to you. Vegetable capsules make it vegan friendly option.
Why we like it: Vegetable based capsules made by a very reputable brand in the health/fitness industry. They never use fillers or recipients of any kind in their formulas. We liked that Nutrabio’s KSM-66 ashwagandha is vegan friendly and gluten free. It’s also nice to see that this product is made in the USA. Also 600 mg of ashwagandha with 5% withanolides is a strong and effective dose of ashwagandha.
How to make the most of it: This product comes in 90 capsules which can last quite a while since the recommend serving size is 1 capsule a day. Best time to take NutraBio Ashwagandha KSM-66 would be in between meals since this product does have a more potent formula than most products on the market, meaning it could cause some stomach distress if you were to take it on an empty stomach. However, most users don’t have this issue to often.
Also consider: For another KSM-66 extract supplement at a lower dosage with vegetable capsules, check out the 88Herbs Full Spectrum Standardized KSM-66 Ashwagandha.
5. Buddha Teas Organic Ashwagandha Root Tea
Best for: Ashwagandha teas are great for users who love to drink tea and want to add ashwagandha root into their tea rotation. This tea goes great with any combination of teas or just on its own. Enjoy the benefits of ashwagandha in tea form.
Why Buy?: Buddha Teas Organic Ashwagandha Tea is made by a brand who specializes in making USDA organic teas. Every tea they make is made using pure organic or sustainable wild harvested ingredients. The boxes these teas come in are made from 100% recycled material and the tea bags are bleach free.
At A Glance:
- All tea bags are made using Bleach-Free Tea Bags. Most tea bags on the market contain bleached tea bags which can contain harmful byproducts that are not good for the body.
- 100% Kosher certified
- non-GMO. Some users prefer to stay GMO free in their diets. This ashwagandha tea is made using non-gmo ingredients.
- MSG free. This brand of ashwagandha tea is made without the use of MSG or monosodium glutamate.
- Free of any Artificial Flavors, Colors or Preservatives.
- USDA organic. Buddha Teas has been evaluated and certified by California Certified Organic Farmers, better known as CCOF.
- Brews best with water temperature at 205°
- Boxes are 100% recyclable
- Caffeine-Free making it a good night time tea
Most notable features: This tea is made with a simple and effective formula. The ingredients in this tea only include 2,000 mg of ashwagandha root. Each tea bag contains USDA organic ashwagandha root and is held in a bleach-free tea bag. Ashwagandha can be just as effective in tea form.
Why we like it: Clean ingredient profile and made using the highest quality ashwagandha root. Bares the USDA organic badge as well.
How to make the most of it: Ashwagandha tea can be used at any time of the day. Users like to use it as a night time tea and a day time tea. Adding this caffeine-free tea into any of your caffeinated teas can make for a nice blend.
Also consider: Organic India Tulsi Wellness Sleep Tea is a worthwhile alternative with a number of other USDA organic ingredients like Holy Basil.
6. Sun Potion Organic Ashwagandha Powder
Best for: This Ashwagandha Powder is made using USDA organic ashwagandha root extract. Which means it contains a powerful dose of withanaloids, a key compound known to give ashwagandha most of its benefits. Great for users looking to buy ashwagandha extract in bulk.
Why Buy?: Not only does it use high quality ashwagandha root, but it also is dosed effectively. 31.25 mg of withanaloids per 1250 mg serving. It does not contain any filler ingredients or additives, the only ingredient in this formula is ashwagandha extract, certified organic by CCOF. If you’re searching for an effective extract powder, this might be the choice for you.
At A Glance:
- Certified Organic by CCOF
- USDA Organic
- Organic Cold-Water Extract of the Ashwagandha Root.
- Single-ingredient extract in powdered form
- Contains 31.25 mg of withanolides per serving, a dose research says its most optimal for potential benefits.
- Bulk ashwagandha extract powder that can be easily added into smoothies or taken on the go.
Most notable features: The unique thing about this powder is that its made using ashwagandha root extract where as standard powder products do not use extract but just the grounded root. This can lead to the product be more effective than most powders on the market. 31.25 mg of withanolides per serving is something you will not see in a lot of other powders.
Why we like it: It does not contain any other random additives or preservatives. Just a clean ashwagandha root extract formula. The brand does a good job of labeling its withanolides content making it easier on the customer to find what they are looking for. It also bares the USDA organic badge given by the CCOF, often viewed as the best company for the job.
How to make the most of it: Ashwagandha powders tend to last longer than capsules or tinctures due to the sheer amount of powder a user can buy in bulk. This product comes with 88 servings and will easily blend into a hot tea or cold green smoothie.
Also consider: If you prefer to buy a non-extract ashwagandha powder, take a look at Organic Traditions Organic Ashwagandha Root Powder.
Q: How much does a good ashwagandha supplement cost?
A: On average, a good quality ashwagandha supplement costs around $20-$30. Ashwagandha extracts tend to be more expensive than the root powder form because they typically have more of the key compound responsible for the benefits of this plant called withanolides. KSM-66 ashwagandha extracts tend to be a bit higher in price than your standard root powder. Its a branded version of ashwagandha said to be the most researched backed form of ashwagandha.
Q: What are the best liquid tincture brands for ashwagandha?
A: Herb Pharm is a company that focuses on producing high quality liquid tinctures. Their products can be found in many stores in the USA, even in a lot of the smaller chains. Most of their ashwagandha is grown right here in the USA as well as in India (just check the package labeling, it will tell you where it was farmed). Their liquid ashwagandha extract is sourced from certified USDA organic Withania somnifera plants and can be found for a relatively reasonable price.
Q: What’s best ashwagandha OR rhodiola?
Q: When is the best time to take ashwagandha?
A: Ashwagandha is a very versatile herb. There isn’t an exact BEST time to take it. However, first thing in the mornings along side your morning coffee, tea, or water is what a lot of users do. Taking it when you feel like your immune system needs a bit of a boost or ‘help’ also works. After a long or stressful day, 1 hour before you go to sleep works great to help your body cope with the effects of stress. Taking it before a stressful event can help you stay calm and stave off some of those butterflies before a presentation.
Q: What are the quality factors for ashwagandha?
- Avoid gelatin capsules when possible. Higher quality products tend to have plant based capsules.
- Check ‘other’ ingredients usually found under the ingredient label in small print. Any extra ingredients such as magnesium stearate, or silica can be signs of potentially lower quality products.
Q: What does KSM 66 mean?
KSM-66 is a branded form of ashwagandha extract that touted to have the most research studies and clinical trials behind it. It is considered to have the highest concentration and most bio available form of ashwagandha root.
Q: Q: Should I take ashwagandha before or after meals?
Ashwagandha has been generally found to be safe so it can be taken at any time. Some products will share what they believe is best with their own product, such as before a meal or after a meal. We would say take it before or after a meal to help minimize stomach distress on an empty stomach.
Q: Can you take ashwagandha before bed?
Q: Can ashwagandha make you tired?
Generally ashwagandha is promoted as a sleep aid for insomnia. Its scientific name (somnifera) refers to ‘sleep’. A beneficial effect on sleep is certainly possible however its yet to be proven. So it can potentially make you tired.
10 best ashwagandha supplements
- Pure Encapsulations Ashwagandha
- Gaia Herbs Ashwagandha
- Organic India Ashwagandha
- Solaray Ashwagandha
- NOW Foods Ashwagandha
- Ayush Herbs Ashwagandha
- Nutrigold Ashwagandha Gold
- Himalaya Herbal Ashwagandha
- Nature’s Way Ashwagandha
- Planetary Ayurvedics Full Spectrum Ashwagandha