Advertiser Disclosure: Onlinestrength.com has an affiliate relationship with some offers on this page & is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, if you buy something, we may get a cut of the sales.
The Best Alpha-GPC Brands – 2020 Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
The Best Alpha-GPC Supplements
All Benefits/Effects/Facts & Information
Alpha-glycerophosphatidylcholine, or Alpha-GPC, is a metabolite that is formed when certain fatty acids break down. It increases concentrations of acetylcholine throughout the body, which promotes proper metabolic processes, cell structure, and cognitive function. While Alpha-GPC is formed naturally in the body, research suggest that is has potential to enhance cognitive function and even athletic performance.
Some studies have shown that giving patients with Alzheimer’s disease and dementia experienced less severe symptoms over time when taking high doses of Alpha-GPC. Additionally, patients who suffered a stroke and were given Alpha-GPC within 10 days appeared to have a faster recovery than those who did not. One study used a combination of Alpha-GPC given as a shot, followed by an oral supplement after 30 days. After a period of 6 months, patients who took the supplement had better cognitive function recovery.
While high doses of Alpha-GPC have been used to decrease symptoms of neurodegenerative disease and consequences of stroke, smaller doses may also improve cognitive function in healthy adults. Since Alpha-GPC causes an increase in acetylcholine in the brain, studies suggest that an Alpha-GPC supplement can cause general improvement in critical thinking, memory, and learning.
Preliminary research suggests that Alpha-GPC taken as a pre-workout supplement can increase the production of growth hormone (GH) post-workout. One study showed that athletes who practiced resistance training and took Alpha-GPC experienced an increase of GH up to 44 times that of the control. It greatly surpassed those who took a placebo, who experienced less than 3 times the increase in GH levels compared to the control.
Potential Alpha-GPC Benefits:
- Improves memory and critical thinking
- Promotes healthy metabolic function
- Helps maintain cellular membrane structure
- Reduces symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- Promotes faster recovery from stroke or other cerebral accident
- Increases levels of GH after exercise
Things To Know
Also Known As
Alpha-glycerophosphocholine, Choline Alphoscerate, A-GPC, Alpha-glycerol phosphoryl choline
Things To Note
- A physician should be consulted before taking an Alpha-GPC supplement, no matter the use, to confirm that it is the best health option.
- Alpha-GPC may decrease the effectiveness of medications that block acetylcholine, such as scopolamine.
How To Take
Recommended Dosage, Active Amounts, Other Details
- Choline content of Alpha-GPC is approximately 40% of total dosage
- Cognitive improvement (general): 300-600mg daily
- Athletic performance: 600mg daily
- Alzheimer’s disease: 1,200mg daily, taken in 3 doses of 400mg
- Dementia: further evidence needed. One study administered a 1,000mg shot once daily, no standard oral dose has been defined.
- Stroke: further evidence needed. Studies used a 1,200mg shot daily for 28 days, after which 400mg was taken orally 3 times per day for 6 months