Advertiser Disclosure: Onlinestrength.com has an affiliate relationship with some offers on this page & is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, if you buy something, we may get a cut of the sales.
The Best Agmatine Brands – 2020 Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
The Best Agmatine Supplement Brands
All Benefits/Effects/Facts & Information
Agmatine is a derivative of the amino acid Arginine (L-Arginine) formed by removing the carboxyl group from L-Arginine (decarboxylation). While this molecule was discovered in 1910, its function is still under research. Currently, Agmatine seems to be beneficial primarily for cognitive function, cardiovascular health, and pain relief.
Studies have found that Agmatine functions partly as a modulator in the nervous system. It can help to regulate the activity of neurotransmitter receptors such as serotonin, which can improve cognitive health in humans. It has also been found to modulate Nitric Oxide production, which improves blood flow by dilating blood vessels.
Due to its interactions with certain analgesics, Agmatine also has the ability to enhance the effects of drugs like opioids. Not only does this allow for a smaller dose of the medication, but preliminary research has shown that it may help prevent tolerance to pain killers and therefore help prevent addition. Additionally, Agmatine supplementation may help reduce the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal.
Potential Agmatine Benefits:
- Better cognitive function
- Improves blood flow
- Enhances effects of pain-relieving medications
- Reduces symptoms of alcohol withdrawal
Things To Know
Also Known As
Clonidine-displacing substance, 4-aminobutylguanidine, decarboxylated arginine
Things To Note
- Agmatine is not to be confused with L-Arginine. Although it is a derivative of the amino acid, they have different functions in the body.
- Agmatine should NOT be used with L-Arginine and L-Citrulline, D-Aspartic Acid, or Creatine supplements. Agmatine does not interact well with or will directly oppose the functions of these supplements and so reduce their effectiveness.
How To Take
Recommended Dosage, Active Amounts, Other Details
- Agmatine should not be taken with protein as it will compete for the same transporters as Arginine.
- Studies have used doses ranging from 1,300-2,670mg daily, with a suggested limit of 6.4mg/kg of body weight.
- No standard dose has yet been established for Agmatine due to the lack of research.